Sauce Burrito aka Wet Burrito or as Taco Bell came up with Smothered Burrito! Sauce burrito is basically wet burrito with sauce. I could say regular burrito smeared with Enchilada Sauce or Red Mexican Sauce. Burritos are generally served without a sauce or gravy. This style(the one I am sharing in this post) of burrito goes by several different names—smothered burrito, wet burrito and enchilada-style burrito. As we mostly use corn tortilla when preparing Enchiladas, and flour tortillas to prepare the Burritos, in this recipe, it is basically mix-match of two recipes. Sauce recipe may vary depending on your tastebuds. I have my own version of preparing the sauce as well but I will share traditional way of Mexican as well. Tasty delicious sauce is the key to this recipe so first I will share sauce recipe as I assume you already make perfect beans and cheese burrito easily. But continue till the end of this post for detail recipes.
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Crisco shortening or Butter
- 3 tablespoon Mole Sauce
- 4 cups Veg Stock
- 3 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- (You can use ready seasoning if you are not good at keeping up separate spices & herbs)
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 16 ounces Tomato Sauce (2 cups)
- 1 6 ounce can Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Water
- Melt shortening or butter in 6 quart pot. Whisk in flour, let flour and shortening get bubbly and start to brown. Gradually whisk veg stock in to flour mixture. Cook on medium high for 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens. Whisk in mole.
- 2. Add in chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and pepper, and milk, whisk until smooth.
- 3. Whisk in tomato sauce, paste, and water turn heat down to low. Let cook on lowest heat for 1 hour. Continue to stir occasionally, making sure sauce is not burning or sticking to bottom of pot.
Sauce can be made up to 2 days ahead of time, and stored in refrigerator. Sauce also freezes well allow it to cool, freeze in a Zip-loc freezer bags to use up to 3 months later. Sauce is also good for Enchiladas!
So that’s the recipe I got from one of the Mexican friend of mine. Now, my sister-in-law from California shared the recipe as below, kind of strange but taste great as per my mother-in-law. They use ready Ragu Brand Pasta Sauce with water. Some mix Enchilada with Picante, sour cream and prepare the sauce, so I could say hundreds of variations occur to prepare the sauce.
Heat up little Oil in the pan and add 1 stick of Cinnamon. When cinnamon starts sizzling, add finely chopped Red onion with Spring onion(Green Onion). Sauté both types of onion for about 2 minutes or till little soft. Add the Ragu Pasta sauce with water. Add spices such as red chili powder, cumin powder. Simmer for about 5 minutes and ready to use the sauce for making Sauce Burrito. Sometimes, I elaborate some recipes and the other time, I would just prepare quick depending on how much time I have to cook & prepare the recipes. Over the period of time, I came up with my own quick, easy recipe which I always end up making in pressure cooker(you can make in regular open pot even quick) and will also fit perfect to vegan, gluten free people for sure.
Here is the full written recipe with video of Enchilada Sauce. Just to reference, here is the video.
Now, let’s talk about what goes in burrito. Being a vegetarian, I always use Beans as a filling but it’s up to you. I use Black beans or Pinto Beans or Kidney Beans or combination of Pinto & Kidney or combine Black Beans with Pinto. I love Brown rice in it with Beans. You can also add some finely chopped veggies like onion, bell pepper and so on. Below is the video.
In my world, food doesn’t have to be gourmet to taste great and great tasting food can be created right in your own kitchen. I truly believe that the best made is homemade. You can always customize recipes to your preference. So just let your imagination flow to create magic recipes! Happy Cooking…