As soon as I think of spiced sprouted moong beans sabji, my mouth starts watering. There are few ways you can prepare sprouted moong beans. Sprouted moong beans can be eaten raw in salads and soups, slightly steamed or stir fried with vegetables and even curry or sabji can be prepared using sprouted moong. Sometimes, I make plain spicy sprouted moong shaak.
I have already shared the post on how to sprout beans and legumes here.
The other time, I kind of like sprouted moong beans onion and tomato. You can follow the same recipe but before adding sprouted moong beans, sauté onion and tomato. Rest of the recipe remains the same.
Then there is another version of this recipe when I want to serve it with Roti, I make little kind of stew or curry kind, soupy, basically Any how you prepare sprouted moong beans, they are equally delicious.
Any grain when sprouted becomes easy to digest and healthy too. You can sprout moong beans at home or buy them from super stores. Mung bean sprouts contain beneficial carbohydrates and protein, which supports a healthy lifestyle. Each serving of sprouts contains 6.2 grams of total carbohydrates, including 1.9 grams of fiber, which offers digestive health benefits and keeps you regular. A cup of mung bean sprouts also boasts 3.2 grams of protein — a nutrient essential for immune system health and tissue maintenance — and contains less than a quarter of a gram of fat. Not only that, there are many other benefits of Mung sprouts and so people go on sprouted moong beans diet for weightless as well.
- Moong sprouts-3 cup
- 1/2 onion chopped - optional
- Tomato chopped-1/2 cup - if desired
- Ginger chopped- 1 tsp
- Chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice- 2 tsp
- Fresh coriander chopped- 2tbsp
- Salt-to taste
- Water- 1/4 cup
- Cooking oil/ghee-3 tsp
- Mustard seeds Rai- 1 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/4 tsp if available
- Turmeric powder Haldi - optional
- Curry leaves-8 if desired
- Green chilies- 1tsp or as per taste
- Ginger Paste - 1 tsp
- Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
- Wash the sprouts well to remove any odour.
- Heat ghee or oil in the pressure cooker .
- Now add the tempering ingredients like Mustard Seeds (Rai), asfoetida (Hing), Haldi, Curry leaves if adding.
- When seeds start crackling, add green chili, garlic and ginger, add chopped onion and tomato if adding and stir fry for few seconds.
- Now add sprouts and all the dry spices and stir fry for few seconds.
- Add 1/4 cup water and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles on medium heat.
- When cool down then open the pressure cooker and add lemon juice and fresh coriander.
- Mix well and serve as a snack or side dish.