Below is the old video, I shared few years ago with sesame seeds.
Khatta Puda (Savory Rice Flour Pancakes)
- Rice flour 2 Cups 32 tbs - Chawal atta
- Black gram flour 2 Tablespoon Optional - Urad atta
- Fenugreek Powder 1 tsp - Methi atta
- Turmeric powder 1 Pinch - Haldi
- Green chili paste 1 Teaspoon - Hara Mirch
- Ginger paste 1 1⁄2 Teaspoon - Adrak
- Yogurt 1⁄2 Cup 8 tbs - Khatta Dahi
- Salt To Taste
- Water as needed To make the batter
- Oil 2 tbs For drizzling while frying the pudas
- Ghee 2 Tablespoon For garnishing, if desired
- Take a bowl with the rice flour, add the urad (black gram) flour to it, a pinch of turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix these dry ingredients well.
- Add green chili paste, ginger paste, yogurt and combine roughly with a spoon.
- Gradually add in regular water to the flour mixture and combine slowly with a spoon until the batter reaches a smooth consistency. Stir well to make sure there are no lumps.
- Let the batter rest covered for at least 8 hours to ferment. ( The longer the batter rests for fermentation, the better the puda would be)
- Once the batter has fermented, stir well to get rid of any lumps formed. Meanwhile heat a non-stick pan to a medium temperature.
- Pour in a ladle of batter and let it cook. Drizzle some oil on the edges. Flip sides and cook both sides till slightly brown.
- Serve hot (with a little ghee spread on the surface) with cilantro or mint chutney.
- The batter can be prepared in large quantity ahead of time, and stored in the refrigerator. Remove it form the refrigerator just 30 minutes before preparing the pudas.
- Cilantro, green onions, sesame seeds and powdered cumin can be added to the batter if desired for added flavor.