I would like to show my love for Khichdi aka Khichri. Simple rice khichdi is a healthy comfort food prepared by pressure cooking rice and moong dal. If you want to eat something light and healthy for dinner, then easy to digest rice khichdi is the best option. I simply love to play around with the ingredients to prepare delicious Khichdi variations.
Khichdi is healthy and ultimate comfort food. Must try Palak Khichdi. If desired Instant Pot Electric Cooker, Rice cooker can be used to prepare one pot Khichdi.
I prepare variety of Khichdi and in this post, I am going share green, vibrant, Palak(spinach) Khichdi. Instead of Palak, other greens like Kale, Broccoli, can be used.
Below is the step by step video instructions on how to make Palak Khichdi.
We all know how important greens are for our health. The question is how do you get all the important greens foods into your diet in the quickest easiest way possible? And what are the benefits of consuming these types of foods?
Firstly, greens help us cleanse, alkalize and energise our body. They cleanse and detoxify our body because of the way they attract heavy mettles, pulling them through our digestive system and eliminate them out of our body. They help to energise out cells because of how they alkalize our blood.
So much of our diet now is made up of processed dairy, processed white flower, processed sugars that are all highly acidic foods. If were to observe your blood cells under a microscope, you’d see that they are more stuck together and move more slowly – making you feel more sluggish and more prone to disease.
- 1/2 cup Rice Chawal
- 1/2 cup Lentil Dal
- Turmeric Powder :1/4 tsp -Haldi
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups water or as needed
- 4 cups Palak Spinach blanched and pureed
- 1/2 cup Green Onion chopped Regular white onion can be used
- 1/2 cup Green Peas Matar
- Ginger Garlic and Green Chili as per taste
- Red chili dry : 2 counts
- Turmeric Powder :1/4 tsp -Haldi
- Coriander Powder : 1 tsp
- Oil :1 tbsp
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds Rai
- Salt : to taste
- Ghee clarified butter :1 tbsp
- I use broken Cashew pieces Kaju and shredded coconut but its totally up to you how you want to serve.
- Wash and soak rice & Lentil. Into the pressure cooker pot, take rice, lentil, Turmeric powder, salt and water. Cook till rice and lentil soft. I hear about 3 whistles.
- While Khichdi cooks, blanch and puree the spinach. Wash spinach thoroughly in running water and put them in hot water in a pan Cover and let them cook till the color slightly changes. Turn off the heat ,drain all the water and transfer the spinach into iced water and cool completely.
- Drain the water and puree the spinach through blender. Set this puree aside.
- In a pan heat oil+Ghee on medium heat.
- Add green onions and saute till translucent.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chili and cooks for a minute or so.
- Add green peas, stir, cover and cook for about 2 minutes or longer if using fresh peas.
- Add salt if needed. I do not add additional salt as my ginger, garlic, green chili has enough salt.
- Add prepared spinach puree, ground coriander cumin, stir well, cover and cook.
- Check the Khichdi, and carefully add cooked khichdi into the green gravy.
- Stir well, cover and cook for 2 minutes to incorporate all the flavors together.
- Khichdi is ready, garnish with cashew and coconut.
- Enjoy khichdi alone or serve with Khadhi/Chhas or simply yogurt.