खट्टी बेरी · क्रेनबेरी · करौंदा · करौंदा.
I have been in quest of cracking this cranberry achar for long time. Yes last year also I tried but failed miserably. When I asked hubby he told go ahead and try it, maximum you areWhile growing up in India, we had a similar fruit Lololikka/Lovlolika/Scrambery in the backyard; which grandma used to pickle with salt and bird eye chili.
My family wouldn’t enjoy Cranberry itself so I have to come up with recipes to incorporate cranberries in our everyday food and what could be better than pickle?
Many of these phytonutrients offer antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. Cranberries are a very good source of vitamin C, dietary fiber, and manganese, as well as a good source of vitamin E, vitamin K, copper and pantothenic acid.
The cranberry is a popular type of berry, high in nutrients and antioxidants. It has many health benefits, and is usually consumed as cranberry juice. I personally have to drink cranberry juice often to avoid urine infection, so I started making cranberry shots, not much fun to drink as it is so acidic but I started incorporating with other sweet fruits and veggies like beet and raspberries. And sometimes, I would add honey as well.
Below is the video instructions to prepare the hot cranberry pickle, Indian style.
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup red chili powder
- 1 tbsp salt or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup fenugreek powder
- 1 teaspoon Asafoetida
- ¼ cup Oil sesame seed oil or combination of olive oil and other cooking oil
- ¾ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprig of curry leaves if desired
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- Heat a tablespoon oil in a thick bottom pan.
- When the oil is hot add Mustard seeds, Asafoetida and add washed, pat dried cranberries, ginger , salt and 2 sprigs of curry leaves into the pan.
- And cook until cranberries become soft, add remaining masala ingredients like fenugreek powder, red chili powder, Turmeric. Mix well and let it cool.
- When cool, add more oil like olive oil and vinegar to preserve pickle longer.
- Store in air tight glass jar bottle and keep in a cool dry place or refrigerate for longer freshness.
This pickle can be served immediately but I personally love this pickle a day after, once it gets little pickled.