These Jowar or Jolad vadas are made during Shitla satam. Food is prepard day before since on Shitla satam, womens do not cook. I remember my mom making Dhoklas, Laddus, vadas, puris, bhinda nu shaak and some other food day before and we get to eat only the prepared food on Shitla satam. Shitla satam vrat is done for wellness of young childrens.
- 1 cup Jowar (Milo or Sorghum) flour
- 11/2 tbsp besan (Chickpea or garnbazo flour)
- 1 tbsp urad atta (Black gram flour)-If urad atta not availabe, soak urad dal for 1 hour and grind to paste
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp til (Sesame seeds)
- 1 tsp green chili paste
- 11/2 tsp adrak (ginger) paste
- 2 tsp Dhaniya & Jeera (coriander & cuimin) powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- Water as needed
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of baking soda
Mix all flours, spices, sesame seeds, salt and mix all dry ingredients well except Soda(Soda is added only right before making vadas). Now add yogurt, oil and the paste with water to make soft dough. Take care not to make it watery, or else the vadas will not come out. Keep it aside overnight or at least for 4-6 hours.
After 4-6 hours or overnight, add baking soda to dough and add water as needed to adjust consistancy of vada. Heat oil in thick bottomed kadai. Take small size dough, and take from side of the bowl in to round or oval shape. Slowly drop it in hot oil.
Let it fry for few seconds, turn it and fry till golden color. Repeat with other vadas also. You can makes sevral small vadas and fry at same time.