The first time I made this gravy without onion and garlic for one of our guest and I felt it was more tastier than the one I prepare with onion garlic. To replace onion, I used red bell pepper and gravy was awesome. This recipe is must to keep on file for those who do not eat onion garlic. Now, the video I am posting here is just to give an idea but will sure post video for this recipe soon.
- 3 big tomatoes (11/2 cups Readymade crushed or puree/sauce tomato can be used)
- 1 big red bell pepper diced (This substitute onion easily for this gravy)
- 2 inch of ginger
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon peparika powder
- nutmeg powder just to taste
- saffron powder just to taste dissolve in 1 tbsp water
- cardamon powder just to taste
- cinnamon powder just to taste
- aamchoor powder just to taste
- cumin powder just to taste
- coriander powder just to taste
- (If you don't have all this powder ready mix all them together and grind them in the grinder or use ready Garam masala making sure no onion garlic in it)
- 2 tbsp . oil
- salt according to your taste but deffinitely need 1 teaspoon.
- 1 tsp . Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp . unsalted butter. If using salted add less salt
- Water as needed
- Boil tomatoes with enough water for about 10-15 min. Take off the skin and make puree. Readymade crushed tomato can be used to save some time. Now heat just 1 tbsp out of 2 tbspoil in the pan and saute the red bell pepper till little soft. When done make paste of cooked red bell pepper and ginger. Again use the same pan and pour another 1tbsp of oil at this time and add bay leaves. Add prepared paste, tomato puree, all spice powders, salt, sugar and cook about another 5 min. Add water if needed. Add butter and just cook till the butter is incorporated in gravy. You will get nice smooth gravy.
- You can use this gravy for many dishes. If you are going to use heavy cream, add heavy cream at last before serving. this gravy can be freezed and use them later to make many dishes such as Paneer Masala, Paneer Bhurji, Vegetable kormaand many more recipes. I use this gravy in almost all punjabi curries. I add peas, paneer and potato to just make simple punjabi curry.
If you use ready made tomato puree, preparation and cooking time will be less.
Once gravy is done, you can add cream or yogurt as per recipe requirement and your gravy will be super smooth.
You can add red food color little bit if you wish.
Below are the dishes prepare with gravy. I added cream to Paneer Makhani and yogurt to Paneer Tikka gravy.